Three Things Your Ex Can Still Come After You To Get Years After The Divorce

The most difficult part of any divorce is trying to get as far away from your ex as you can. If you are fortunate, your ex will let you go and move on with his/her life. If you are not so lucky, your ex will find ways to keep coming after you. Thankfully, there are only a few things that would allow your ex to keep coming after you. As long as you have a divorce lawyer, you can hopefully avoid these legal attacks from your ex. Keep on the lookout for any of the following from your ex.

Trying to Get Custody

Even though your children spend most of their time with you, and have spent quite a few years living with you, your ex can still try to get custody. Because any and every court of law recognizes the rights of parents to see their children and develop a relationship with them, your ex can keep trying to get custody until your children are no longer minors. Your lawyer's job is to argue why the current custody arrangement should remain as is, and argue why your ex should not get physical custody or placement.

Increases in Child Support

As long as you continue to make more money than your ex, and/or your income gets larger with each passing year, your ex can pursue an increase in child support. Of course, your ex also has to have the children at least fifty percent of the time, if not more. This rule varies from state to state, but increases in child support are not awarded without the children spending an equal or greater amount of time with your ex.

Alimony or Increases in Alimony

Usually, at the time of your divorce, the question of alimony is supposedly settled. Either your ex is entitled and requests it, or your ex refuses it. (He/she may also not qualify, as some states require that couples be married for a certain number of years, or that there is obvious proof of infidelity on your part.) If the question of alimony is left open but your ex refuses it at the time of the initial divorce hearing, he/she can pursue you for it later. Worse still, if your ex loses his/her job, he/she can pursue an increase in alimony to pay the bills and help support the children until he/she finds and secures new employment.